SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PET



Millions
of dogs and cats are killed each year simply because there is no place for them to go or anyone to care for them. This terrible overpopulation will be eliminated by being a responsible person and spaying/neutering your pet.
Alabama Animal Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic at 334-239-7387 (PETS)



Sunday, May 25, 2008

use the library and encourage reading

In this time of national financial trouble, we have tried to cut back on "unnecessary" costs as much as possible. Although my husband and I make good money, the cost of gas and food has increased so much that we've had to cut out extras to keep up. I'm sure many people are finding this to be the reality right now. I really enjoy reading and have purchased numerous books in my lifetime. This last year, I have stopped purchasing and borrow instead. Our library system is really great in that all of the libraries are linked throughout the county and a card holder can check out books from any library in the system, not just the local small library that may not carry many books. The books are even transported, completely free, to your local library for you to pick up. It's a fabulous system and one that should be adopted everywhere. I have been able to read many more authors that I wouldn't have tried if I were purchasing the books. It's really great to know that I can start a book and just return it if I don't like it. You can check out cookbooks, non-fiction, fiction, anything. I've checked out cookbooks and just copied my favorite recipes into a spiral notebook to be later typed into the computer whenever I find the time. This way, you don't have a hundred cookbooks sitting around with only a few recipes in each one that you like and use. I like to read books on dog training or on cockatiel care. I've bought several in the past, but now I check them out and read them for any knowledge I don't already have from the purchased books. Many of the books contain redundant information and I see no reason to purchase this information repeatedly.
So USE YOUR LIBRARY. Your taxes pay for it. Make use of it. Take your kids there on Saturday and let them pick out a couple of books for the week, on any subject appropriate for their age. I absolutely guarantee this will aid them in their schoolwork and, eventually, in life. I spent many Saturdays at the library as a kid and now have a passion for reading and knowledge and completed a doctorate, so I can say it helped me in my schoolwork. Take yourself there and pick out something silly or smart or humorous or romantic or mysterious. Relaxing for an hour with a good book is the best regenerative time you can take for yourself. And if your kids and husband are sitting with their own books, you won't be bothered.
Encouraging your children to read instead of watching TV or playing video games or sitting at a computer will benefit them to an incredible extent. It will expand their minds, enhance their imaginations, increase their vocabulary and language skills, and--most importantly--provide quiet time for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment