SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PET



Millions
of dogs and cats are killed each year simply because there is no place for them to go or anyone to care for them. This terrible overpopulation will be eliminated by being a responsible person and spaying/neutering your pet.
Alabama Animal Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic at 334-239-7387 (PETS)



Thursday, September 4, 2008

Death sucks

I've just found out that one of my graduate school professors passed away this morning. How horrible. He was not an old man, but he became very ill with cancer and passed away a year after diagnosis. He was, indeed, an utterly brilliant man who, I can only hope, will be remembered well. During school, students were afraid of him because he was so intelligent and could make you feel like a complete idiot without even meaning to do so. I found, after gathering my courage one day and just reckoning that I was an idiot compared to him, that he was extremely helpful and nice. Most of his scientific research is so far over my head that it might as well be in another universe, but I know that he will be remembered as brilliant and I am certain he made a large contribution to the scientific community. With 85 publications listed on his CV along with 2 patents, he will be remembered. But, I wonder, will they remember that he was a devout Jew who truly practiced his religion? Will they remember that he could ask a graduate student a question during a graduate seminar that could make or break them and that should only be answered with a "yes" or "no"? Will they remember that he was a zippy dresser who wore the best fedoras? Or that although he may not approve of your actions, he would only gently, if at all, say so. Maybe some will, I know I will. We will miss you Dr. Netzel.

No comments:

Post a Comment