SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PET



Millions
of dogs and cats are killed each year simply because there is no place for them to go or anyone to care for them. This terrible overpopulation will be eliminated by being a responsible person and spaying/neutering your pet.
Alabama Animal Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic at 334-239-7387 (PETS)



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dogs: Why don't they just eat us?

Sometimes it strikes me just how odd having dogs, or any pets, really is. We take these half wild animals into our homes, sleep with them on or near our beds, feed them, love them, sometimes even clothe them, and in all of this....we are trusting them not to eat us! How crazy is that really? Dogs are predators, cats are predators. I have 4 medium-large dogs. They could easily attack me, kill me, and eat my liver and yet, they don't. Why not? So, they are "domesticated", so what. I've seen plenty of dogs who are domesticated but are still inclined to attack humans. What makes these 4, and most pets, different? Kindness that we show them...No, there are plenty of unkind people and their pets don't eat them. Because we are their pack leaders and they respect us? No, I know plenty of pushovers who are not pack leaders but their dogs don't eat them. Have they lost their prey drive? No way, they'll chase squirrels until their dying day. What is it? What is that defining quality that makes our pets not eat us, look forward to seeing us, curl up to us and give a lick but never a bite? Can it be LOVE? The truest and most beautiful form of love? Yes, maybe that's what it is. Not just that my dogs love me but that dogs, in general, love humans. They must. There is no other reason for all that they tolerate. Think of the millions of pets, the millions of homeless pets, and think of how easily they could kill us all. Indeed, some of the human race would deserve it.
I am grateful for the love of my dogs, though so many, especially with rescues about too, can be tiring. For some odd reason, my dogs adore me. It is so true that no one will ever love you like your dog loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment